School Garden Competition
Schools are encouraged to enter their school community gardens. Horticultural judges will visit each school entry and judge the best garden, produce and eco components of the garden (watering, recycling, compost etc). Space will be provided at the Show for schools to provide highlights of their gardens in the form of mural, photographs and/or produce – this is optional.
$10.00 per school
Friday 4th May 2018
Established School Garden
1st $500, 2nd $100 Bunnings Palmerston Voucher
New School Garden (less than 3 years old)
1st $500, 2nd $50 Bunnings Palmerston Voucher
For more information about the School Garden Competition, please phone the School Garden Coordinator Naomi Lacey on 0439 809 038.
Music Talent Quest
Do you have budding musicians at your school? The Freds Pass Show Music Talent Quest is a great opportunity for all aspiring performers to get up and have a go! So, whether you are a vocalist, an instrumentalist, a duo, trio or group - get your application in. Judging is friendly, positive and it is such a treat to see performers of all ages get up and have a go!
Cash prizes (which have been increased from previous years), trophies, the opportunity to tread the boards in front of a friendly rural crowd – most of all the opportunity to express your love of music!
Conditions of Entry
- Contestants will perform one act/song for judging but should have two prepared
- Acts should be kept within a maximum of 4 minutes
- CD backing will be allowed in this event but must have no vocals on it if the performance is vocal.
- Entertainment value
- Stage presentation: confidence, delivery and attitude
- Quality of performance
1st Prize: $500 plus trophy.
Runner Up: $100 plus trophy (17 years and over)
1st Prize: $200 plus trophy.
Runner Up: $50 plus trophy (Under 17)
Friday 18 May 2018
- Adult Talent Quest (17 and Over) - Held on Saturday 19th May at 4pm
- Talent Quest (Under 17) - Held on Sunday 20th May at 12 noon
NT Young Rural Achiever Competition
For 13 to 25 year old Young Territorians
The NT Young Rural Achiever Award is presented as part of the Freds Pass Rural Show each year. It recognises the talents and achievements of young people in rural industries and communities. Through this award young people are encouraged to develop their skills in a range of areas relating to rural life.
Junior category – ages 15 years and under
- 1st Place - $400 + Sash + Trophy + Swag
- 2nd Place - $150 + Sash + Trophy + $50 Voucher
- 3rd Place - $100 + Sash + Trophy
Senior category – ages 16 to 25 years
- 1st Place - $500 + Sash + Trophy + Swag
- 2nd Place - $200 + Sash + Trophy + $100 Voucher
- 3rd Place - $125 + Sash + Trophy
Hay Stacking Competition
Location: Livestock area Sunday 20 May 2018, commencing 10.30 am
Entry Fee: Senior $20 per team, Junior $10.00 per team.
Entries Close: Friday 18 May 2018
Prizes: Open 1st $100, 2nd $75, 3rd $50, Junior 1st $50, 2nd $35, 3rd $25
- The object is to stack up to 20 bales of hay (Open) and 15 bales of hay (Junior) to the greatest height in the shortest possible time. One team member must finish seated on the top of the highest bale and the stack must stand on its own for 5 seconds to qualify.
- Bales must be picked up and carried (not thrown) 5 metres to the stacking area. Teams then construct the highest possible stack using as many of the 20 (15) bales as they wish.
- Teams may hold the stack to keep it from falling after the 5 second time limit has expired, to enable measuring
- Teams will have a maximum of 5 minutes in the heats and 3 minutes in the final to construct their stack. A whistle will sound once to indicate 30 seconds to go and then twice to signal time is up.
- At the final whistle, teams must stop building and one team member must sit on the top bale in the stack.
- If more than one team finishes with stack the same height (measured to the top of the highest bale), the fastest team will be the winner.
- The second highest or fastest teams will compete in the final.
- The judge’s decision will be final as to the height of the bale and disqualification of any team not following the rules.
- No extra bales will be given to any team to replace broken bales.